Tuesday, September 4, 2007

In the home stretch!

So here is a 39 week belly picture:





I've had two midwife appointments since I last updated, and happily everything is still good! Baby has had a nice growth spurt, because I've been eating like a horse for just that reason...to fatten the kiddo up. You do learn something new every day, and what I learned at my second to last prenatal is that skinny, long babies (like mine tend to be) can have nursing problems because they don't have much body fat. I would not have thought the two were related, but here's why: A baby without a lot of body fat has trouble regulating their body temperature. They can therefore burn through sucrose really fast, and become hypoglycemic, which causes them to be very sleepy, and they won't wake up to eat, even if they're hungry. So I've been eating everything in sight for the last week and half. This baby is feeling pretty long like the boys were (both measured 21 1/2 inches), and hopefully I'll still be pregnant a bit longer so I can get the kiddo up to at least 7 lbs. or so.


Baby is also no longer posterior, and is "really far down" according to my midwife. That makes me incredibly happy, since malposition has been one of my biggest concerns this whole pregnancy.


Everyone (except me) thought it would be amusingly ironic for me to give birth on Labor Day. Despite a nice bout of waves that had me wondering if I should call the midwife and let her know we might give birth last night, no dice. That is the second bout of warm-up we've had (the first was over a week ago, and that time we actually did call the midwife to let her know we thought we were close). I didn't get real worked up last night, which was good because they fizzled out around 10 pm after about 6 hours. I really don't mind being pregnant longer, as I'm still quite comfortable, with the exception of some fairly constant reflux and heartburn resulting from the drastic change in eating habits in the last couple of weeks. Not to mention these kids are always easier to manage on the inside than they are on the outside, and a couple more weeks of ease is never a bad thing!


I'll have a new update Saturday on my "guess-date!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You look like you're closer to eight months than six months! Yay!

~Kathy said...

Thanks...I think? ;o)